Slips, trips, and falls are one of the most common reasons for experiencing an injury at work. These injuries can include sprains, fractures, lacerations, internal bleeding, concussions, and even fatalities. Therefore, it is critical that these types of hazards are acknowledged and prevented within the workplace.
- Slips…occur in locations where there is not enough traction or grip between the footwear and the surface being walked on.
- Trips…happen when the foot collides or strikes with an object which causes someone to lose their balance.
- Falls…take place either from the same level or elevated. Elevated falls are more severe, whereas same-level falls happen more frequently and are generally caused by slips or trips.
There are a variety of situations within the workplace that can cause slips, trips, and falls, which may include the following:
- Wet, greasy, or freshly polished floors
- Loose electrical cords or cables
- Damaged, irregular, or uneven flooring and steps
- Inadequate or poor lighting
- Open desk or file cabinet drawers
- Weather conditions such as ice, rain, frost, or snow
How can employees prevent slips, trips, and falls in the workplace?
- Execute proper housekeeping duties
- Contain and clean up spills immediately
- Participate in health and safety initiatives
- Be observant of walkways, hallways, and other areas within the workplace that may become cluttered or impacted
As a manager and/or employer, it is a part of your roles and responsibilities to create a safer working environment for you and your employees. Use the following guidelines to avoid work injuries due to slips, trips, or falls:
- Provide proper training to employees
- Have a company policy in place outlining the rules for housekeeping
- Implement and maintain proper lighting
- Reduce wet or slippery surfaces
- Ensure employees are wearing proper footwear
Looking for an expert Health and Safety Consultant? Let us help you reduce the risk of accidents by providing a complete solution. Contact us now!